Spiced Cottage Pie With Chile Mash
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 2 celery ribs, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut into even-sized chunks
- 1 ounce butter (I often add 2 oz)
- 3 tablespoons hot milk
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped or 2 chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- Heat oil in a large pan; add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in minced beef, turn up heat to brown meat.
- Add cumin, flour and coriander; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and puree; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock and season.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and let simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whilst meat is simmering away, make the chilie mash.
- Place potatoes into a pot of cold salted water. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and place back in pot. Mash over a low heat with the butter, hot milk, chilies and coriander.
- Season to taste.
- Spoon meat into an oven proof dish,spread Potato mix over.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbling hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This had a very nice flavor. Cut back on the cumin by half, sprinkled cheese (as suggested by another reviewer) and crispy fried onions on the top of the mashed potatoes for a little added zing. The main comment we had was that it was a little light on the meat and felt like it would have been superb with more than one pound of ground beef (probably double).
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I,m a Mum of 3 (26,22,and 19)They keep me on my toes so to speak!!!!!! and rapidly heading for Hair dye. I live in Sunny South Africa but I,m of Welsh(uk)decent! I use to be(before the joys of Motherhood and domestic bliss Ha HA!) a nurse specialising in Oncology(Cancer nursing).Now I,m a stay at home Mum(although I,m a part-time secretary for DH,s small business.) I,ve lots I want to do in the pipeline now the children are getting older!I love to cook,its one of my passions,besides cooking I love to Read and enjoy anything from Medical thrillers,historical epics! to a good old mystery the more complex the better! On my to do list is learning to quilt,knit fair isle and bottle preserves properly! I live at the Coast and have done so for the last 5 years,its certainly a slower pace of life here than when we lived in the city. There is something very restful about living so close to the Sea even the storms are spectacular to watch.One of My wishes is to spend a weekend in a Light house,preferably in rough weather! I,m also *Mum* to 4 dogs(all girls!)Millie the boxer,Jessie the cross border collie who is slightly mad to say the least!and my 2 little Jack Russells Molly and Mandy who have me running about all over the place I wish I had their energy!I,de bottle it and make a fortune!