Spice-Rack Spaghetti/Marinara Sauce
- Ready In:
- 106 ounces tomato sauce (I used the large S&W brand from Costco)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (Hershey's brand)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pizza seasoning (Frontier brand)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced, cooked and pureed
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 1⁄3 cup dehydrated onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (enough to saturate the Dehydrated Onions)
- (Ahead of time, steam or boil 3-4 cups carrots until very tender. You can either use a food processor to purée cooked carrots right after cooking or you can add cooked carrots to the sauce and purée right in the pot with a hand-held blender).
- Combine all ingredients (except Dehydrated Onions and Olive Oil) in large sauce pot and bring to boil - stirring regularly.
- Turn down heat to low simmer.
- Meanwhile, pour enough Olive Oil in frying pan to saturate the Dehydrated Onions and sauté on Med heat until golden brown.
- Add onions to sauce pot and continue simmering and stirring regularly for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the cooked Bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Makes about 5 quarts of sauce - so if you're really on the ball, have 3-4 sterilized quart jars and lids ready to transfer all the leftover sauce into for later use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!