Spectacular Overnight Cole Slaw
This has to be one of the most flavorful coleslaws I have ever made. The flavors blend wonderfully. The addition of olives is a welcome surprise in the flavor. The best part is make ahead. Most slaws I have to wait till time to serve to add the dressing. This gets better overnite, so it is great to make ahead and out the door. Or it is one more dish you can get done the day before company coming, which is what I love. But irregardless of all those perks, it is a dish that I would make even if it was a little bit of a pain. Hope you enjoy it.
- Ready In:
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded (21/2lbs)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced stuffed olives
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- In a 4 quart bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, peppers and olives.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining ingredients;bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour over vegetables and stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix well before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I cut recipe in half and used a 16 oz. bag of slaw I had on hand. Slaw didn't sit overnight as needed for tonight's meal. No stuffed olives, but bought some today in anticipation of my next batch. Didn't have white wine vinegar so used red wine vinegar. Thought the flavor excellent. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
This is really a wonderful way to prepare cole slaw. I have prepared it several times for company on special occasions, and I always receive compliments. I use a little yellow bell to add even more color. Just a note to say that I personally prefer fresh ingredients and do not find that the packaged slaw to be as flavorful. However, if you are pinched for time, I am sure that using the packaged products is a great alternative. I love the addition of olives, but rarely am able to do so because only my DH & I care for them. Maybe one day I will cut the ingredients and make it for just DH and me and include the olives. Great recipe, Baby Chevelle! Thanks for sharing!