Spanish Roccos (Galletitas Navidanas)
photo by Numm Nummery
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange peel (1 inch squares)
- 3 tablespoons anise seed
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup muscat wine (or favorite dessert wine)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 lbs flour
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add orange peel and fry until the pith (white part) is golden brown.
- Add anise seed to orange oil and fry for 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Strain the oil into a glass bowl and discard the orange and anise.
- Add shortening to oil. Stir till melted.
- Add wine to oil.
- Add sugar to oil.
- Place bowl of oil in refrigerator until cool.
- Add flour 1/2 pound at a time. Mix well.
- Roll out dough till about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut cookies with 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter. Traditionally we make a doughnut shape with about 2 tablespoons of dough.
- Place cookies on un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool and dust heavily with powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Just a simple man, married to a simple man, living a simple life.</p>