Spanish Rice Bake
photo by Dienia B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked, not the quick cooking rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 10 1⁄4 ounces tomato soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped if (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded if desired (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly coat a 2 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In a 10 inch skillet over medium flame, heat the oil. Stirring frequently add the rice, onion, and bell pepper and cook until rice is light brown and onion is tender. Stir in corn.
- Except for the cheese, mix the remaining ingredients in the casserole. Stir in rice mixture and layer cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Stir. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese on top and bake uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made as directed, other than adding a yellow bellpepper as well, because I had it. I ran into a problem when we had a power outage halfway through the cooking time, therefore I had to finish it off next day and my first tasting was when I took some to work for my lunch! happily it survived its interrupted bake and I can declare it, delicious, wish I had taken more with me :)<br/>Thank you for a lovely recipe, enjoyed for International Agents of QUEST, South America
Very mild indeed, so I added some seasoning salt, cumin and lots of extra chili powder. I then topped it off with some black beans, sour cream and avocados for a healthy vegetarian meal! I used brown rice and beware it took over 2 hours to cook and I had to add an extra 1/2 cup of liquid every 30 minutes or so. . .bottom line. . .make it with white rice :) Made for Veg*n Tag.
This was very easy and very good! I used Enova brand oil, tomato bisque soup and added 2 minced garlic cloves. I did use fresh cilantro and doubled it, I think it gave it the most wonderful infused flavor. Step 3 should say layer 1 cup cheese on top. Then step 4 you put the other cup. I made it with the cheese but think it would have been just as good without it. I had to bake it an extra 15 minutes uncovered before adding the last cup of cheese to evaporate the liquid. I enjoyed this with roasted veggies and a little sour cream for a nice vegetarian lunch. I think this would also be great with cooked ground beef and extra chili powder added for a one pot meal. Made for Zaar Tag.
This is extremely mild, Dh was in heaven but I would triple the chili powder for my own taste. I used 1/2 the ask for corn and used Italian flavored tomato sauce in place of the tomato soup (I hate tomato soup) I did add the green pepper and dried cilantro but it didn't show in the pix for some reason. I skipped the cheese because there is a lot of fat in 2 cups of cheese. DH will have it as it is and simply love it and I'll add a bit of hot salsa on top and we'll both be very happy with this dish, and that doesn't happen very often!LOL. Easy to make and the timing is perfect (I set the oven at 350 because I used a glass dish). Thank you Lauralie for something we both like.