Spaghetti Carbonara Ala Expat
unusual recipe with diced portabella mushrooms, green onions, red pepper flakes and bacon. i used 1% milk since i didn't have cream or half & half on hand and it worked great. in the interest of calories, I usually use the water i cooked the pasta with for the sauce anyways. **Note! I made this recipe using half a box of pasta since that's what I had on hand.** I made it with farfalle and it was great. I use a mix of the hard cheeses I have on hand-parmesan, pecorino, romano, etc.
- Ready In:
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup diced baby portabella mushrooms
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 8 ounces pasta, uncooked
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 eggs, beaten with lots of black pepper
- cook bacon until just shy of crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 1 T grease to saute onions, garlic, mushrooms. Dice or crumble bacon into small pieces.
- Saute onions, garlic, mushrooms in bacon fat on med to high heat until garlic golden brown and mushrooms cooked, about 5-10 minutes. Add red pepper flakes at last minute.
- Cook pasta until al dente, approx 7 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving approx 1/4 cup cooking water if not using milk or cream for sauce.
- Immediately combine beaten eggs, sauteed stuff, liquid, bacon, and cheese with pasta, stirring well. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a very good Carbonara recipe :) Made as written with a couple of adjustments, I omitted the red pepper flakes as they don't agree with me and only used 1 cup Parmesan cheese. To make again I'll use 8 ounces cream in place of the 1/4 cup milk. Thanks *Made for Spring 2010 PAC and Mediterranean Photo Tag*Reply