Southwestern Hominy Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 ounces mild green chilies, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 32 ounces yellow hominy (or a combination) or 32 ounces white hominy, rinsed and drained (or a combination)
- 16 ounces pink beans, rinsed and drained (or substitute kidney beans, black beans, or pinto beans)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- cilantro, chopped
- scallion, sliced
- Preheat the oven, and prepare the casserole or gratin dish by oiling.
- In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, sour cream, and hot pepper sauce.
- Add the chilies, flour, salt, oregano, cumin, and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Stir in the hominy and beans.
- Toss together both cheeses and stir half of it into the mixture.
- Turn into the prepared casserole and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the paprika.
- Bake for 35 or 40 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve hot. Top with cilantro and scallions if desired.
- To reheat, cover the casserole with aluminum foil.
- If at room temperature, reheat at 325 for about 30 minutes.
- If cold, add 10 to 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.