Southwest Steak Nachos
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon southwest seasoning, spice
- 12 ounces corn tortilla chips
Ingredients for Salad
- iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 15 grape tomatoes, cut in half, lengthwise
Ingredients for Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, drained (mild or hot)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (ground ancho or chipotle pepper tastes great)
Ingredients for Avocado Ranch Dressing
- 1⁄2 avocado, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 bunch chives, chopped, to taste (can sub thinly sliced green onions)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (try chipotle powder or ancho powder)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Season steak and sweet peppers with salt and pepper. Place peppers on a lined baking sheet and put seasoned steak on top. Bake for 25-30.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. Shred steak with a fork and put in a medium bowl along with peppers.
- Add cheese and southwest seasoning. Toss together.
- On a lined large baking sheet, line pan with tortilla chips and top with half of the cooked steak/sweet pepper mixture, repeat. Set aside.
Directions for Salad:
- Combine lettuce and sliced tomatoes in a bowl. Set aside.
Directions for Cheese Sauce:
- Before you start sauce, place nachos in oven for 10 minutes while you make your sauce.
- Add butter and flour to sauce pan on medium-high heat and make blonde roux. Gradually add half & half, constantly whisking. Sauce will thicken. Add cheese and seasoning. Mix together.
- Add drained Rotel. Keep on low heat until ready to put on nachos.
Directions for Dressing:
- Mix 1st five ingredients until smooth with a hand mixer.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon or small hand whisk.
Building the Nachos:
- Ladle cheese sauce over nachos and top with salad.
- Dress with avocado ranch dressing.
- Serve immediately!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!