Southern Fried Jerk Chicken
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 8mins
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup beer
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- vegetable oil or peanut oil
- Combine the Red Stripe Beer (or your beer of choice) and cup buttermilk in a large glass bowl.
- Add chicken to the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, jerk seasoning, cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade.
- Toss the chicken lightly one at a time to coat them. You can use a zip lock bag with the breading mixture to do this.
- Place the breaded chicken on a large baking sheet lined with wax paper. Be sure they do not touch each other. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pour oil in 2-3 inch deep skillet. Heat oil to approx 355°F (check with frying thermometer).
- Add the chicken 2 at a time. Fry each for about 4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Remove each piece of chicken and place on paper towel to drain oil. Transfer to an oven safe platter once oil is drained.
- Place in an oven set at 200°F to keep warm. Once all the chicken is cooked, it is best to serve immediately.
- (Preparation time includes marinating).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just a person who loves to cook, eat and be happy!