Sourdough Bread Naples, Italy
photo by Mark Go
- Ready In:
- 48hrs 30mins
3 500 g loaves
- 800 g bread flour
- 430 g water
- 260 g flour, for starter
- 180 g water, for starter
- 16 g salt
- Combine water, starter, and flour. Mix by hand or use a stand-up mixer.
- This recipe requires a starter, which is not included in this recipe.
- Add salt and mix everything until you get a shaggy dough.
- Transfer dough onto a clean counter and proceed to stretch and fold at least a dozen times.
- Place in a covered container large enough to contain the dough after it has doubled in volume., which will take approximately 4~4.5 hours.
- Punch down dough and transfer to a clean counter for degassing and shaping.
- Place shaped dough on parchment paper, cover to prevent drying, and let stand for approx 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees Fahreinheit.
- Score loaves with a razor blade or sharp knife.
- Mist the inside of the oven with a spray bottle.
- Bake loaves for 10 minutes, and spray again with water.
- Complete baking for another 20~25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!