Sour Cherry Rugelach
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package dried sour cherries, finely chopped (2/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- granulated sugar
- To make the Dough: Beat butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat till fluffy. Mix in flour and salt. Gather dough into ball, gently knead until smooth and flour is incorporated.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Flatten into discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. To make the Filling: Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Unwrap a disc of dough and roll into an 8" x 8" square on a lightly floured surface. Spread 1/8 of the filling (about 1/4 cup) onto center of dough with back of a spoon., leaving about 1/2-inch border on top and bottom.
- Starting at top, carefully roll squares into a tight roll. Using a sharp knife slice roll into 3/4-inch slices, discarding the ends.
- Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and repeat with remaining discs of dough. Brush each cookie with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven about 20 minutes or until rugelach is golden. Cool on wire racks.
- NOTE: The cherries and walnuts are both easily chopped, speparately, in the food processor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!