Sosaties (South African Kebabs in Spicy Sauce)
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion (large-chopped)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot (peele-grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons vinegar (brown malted vinegar)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam (or chutney)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lemon leaves
- 2 lbs lamb (cut in pieces)
- 6 -8 small onions
- 2 -3 red peppers (cut in chunks)
- 8 -10 dried apricots (optional)
- Saute onions and garlic in oil, until translucent, but not brown, add spices and simmer one minute, sitrring constantly; add water, vinegar,sugar,jam,lemon and bay leaves; simmer 5-7 min.stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool. Reserve 1 cup of mixture for glazing at grill time. Pour cooled mixture over meat, marinate 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
- Skewer the marinated meat together with the onions, peppers and apricots (if using). Grill until desired doneness has been reached, brushing with reserved marinade during grilling time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!