photo by Caromcg
- Ready In:
1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice (jarred, to reduce the change of crystallization)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional, see notes below)
- Place all ingredients in a heavy bottomed pot, over medium-high heat.
- Stir as the mixture is heating up, but DO NOT STIR once it starts to boil or simmer.
- Once the mixture comes to a low boil, gently swirl the pot a few times, but do not stir or jostle the pot. Also, do not put a spoon or etc into the pot.
- Lower the heat to low/medium. Simmer for 7 minutes, without stirring.
- Turn off the heat.
- At the five minute mark, have the kids go collect clean snow in large baking pans.
- Drizzle the candy syrup over the snow (a tablespoon or two per serving). It will be cool enough to eat within seconds. With young children, be vigilant.
- This makes enough for five kids to make two or three rounds of snow candy.
- Clean-up will seem awful - but it's just sugar; Soak everything in warm water, and cleaning will be a breeze.
- Flavoring note: I use natural orange flavoring extract; this seems to be my kids' favorite. We've also used no flavor (just the sugar with the lemon juice). Flavoring is a matter of preference; any extract will work - vanilla, peppermint, cherry, etc.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!