Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian aisle of the supermarket)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 medium head bok choy, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, five-spice powder (if using), 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cook, covered, until the pork is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, skim off and discard any fat from the pork. Gently fold the bok choy into the pork and cook, covered, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!