Single Loaf Basic Bread
- Ready In:
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- flour, for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, Mix in water.
- Place bowl inside a plastic bag. Allow it to rest for 12 hours at room temperature until very bubbly. Stir down with a spatula and cover until dough rises again (about 1-4 hours, note that time will vary depending unpon room temperature, activeness of yeast, quality of flour and other factors).
- Ready a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface nearby. Uncover dough, sprinkle dough generously with flour, and place on a floured counter. Flatten dough with your hands until it's about1/2-inch thick. Be sure not to tear a hole in the dough. Fold the sides, top and bottom into the middle. Pinch seams together.
- Flip dough so that it's seam side down onto the sheet of parchment paper, form into a ball. Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- When the dough has doubled in size (Again, about 1-4 houra) set the oven to 450F, and place a covered ovenproof dish or Dutch Oven inside. ( The covered dish must be large enough to allow the bread to rise as it bakes).
- When the oven reaches temperature, Remove the dish,with the parchment still under it, into the dish. Replace the lid and bake for 20 minutes. Remove lid and bake for another 20 minutes. (Remove the parchment paper at this time if you want to re-use it, otherwise it will scorch). Bread is done when the top crust is a deep brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!