Simple Lemon Cheesecake
photo by buttercreambarbie
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- For the crust:.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f. Lightly butter an 8 inch springform pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine crumbs with sugar, then with butter and press mixture int bottom of pan, packing it down with the base of a flat glass.
- Bake until golden about seven to ten minutes.
For the Cheese filling:
- Keep the oven at 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese and sugar blending until smooth. Blend in sour cream. Stir in beaten eggs, one third at a time. Stir in lemon juice, zest, and vanilla, blending well.
- Pour into baked crust and place in oven. Immediately turn heat down to 300 degrees F and bake for one hour or until cake begins to rise on the sides.
- Turn oven off. Open oven door and let cake sit in oven for another 30 minutes. Remove, set on rack.
- For cheesecake topping:.
- have the oven at 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all three ingredients, blending with a spoon until smooth.
- Spread over top of baked cheesecake. If cake has cracks, use topping to fill in the spaces.
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Cool completely before removing side of springform pan. Chill until ready to serve.
- Cheesecake can be wrapped closely in plastic and refrigerated for about four days or frozen two weeks. served chilled with fresh fruit or fruit coulis.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great tasting cheesecake, this is! The one thing I changed was in the amount of lemon zest used ~ I was quite generous with it as we do love the taste of lemon! Easy to put together & a big hit at the potluck where it was quickly devoured! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Very good! I made this low fat by using fat free cream cheese and reduced fat sour cream. This was great, I would definitely make it again the same way. I couldn't even taste the difference between full-fat cheesecake. We also had to freeze this and re-thaw to eat and it still tasted great. Made for Potluck tag :)
This is a very good cheesecake recipe with easy to follow directions. We quartered the recipe, used 1 egg, and baked it in a mini springform pan for 35 minutes, then left it in the oven with the door open for 30. The use of the topping to fill in the cracks is a very useful tip. We chilled this for 3 hours before serving the two of us.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an Israeli-Canadian who grew up in Montreal Quebec. I love to cook, especially for family and friends, and I love to experiment with recipes and try to do different variations of the same recipe. I did do part of cooking school, but found the place stressful and all the good recipes high in fat and calories, even the good ones. I don't have a fave cookbook, but I eat kosher. I have a dream and that is to own my own B&B one of these days. I also love creative writing, and maybe I like to try make up a recipe of my own and see if I'm good at doing that. I have to add that I do have some favourite chefs from the Food Network. They are Giada De Laurentis from Everyday Italian; Micheal Smith from Chef at Home; Jamie Oliver and everything he does; Anna Olson from Sugar; and Chef Gordon Ramsey from Hells' Kitchen and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/HerbsandSpicesSwap2009Sticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/emmyduckie/banner2009.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"width=100%> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Award%20Banners/kittencaljpg.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/AMBadgeGenTP2009.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookbookParticipation.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/pot-luck-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/Masked-reveller-at-Carniv-0.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze1banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/3Craze-E.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> spring 08 <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> fall 08 <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> spring 09 <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> fall 09 <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/sticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Participant.jpg"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/soup_banner.jpg"></a> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefs2008Small.jpg"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Acadia/Banners/HolidayCardSwapBannerP-1.jpg">