Simple and Delicious Split Pea Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I've tried lots of split pea soup recipes with lots of different ingredients and discovered the simplest recipe tastes just as good.
- Ready In:
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb bacon, ham hock or 1 lb meaty ham bone
- 1 lb dried split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk (optional)
- Slice bacon into smaller pieces and fry on stove top.
- Drain bacon leaving 2 tbsp bacon fat in pan. Set bacon aside.
- Add onions and carrots to bacon fat and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add to soup pot with 8 cups water and 1 lb split peas.
- bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes to 1 hour.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- puree half of soup and return to pot.
- add 1/2 cup milk for a creamier soup.
- add bacon and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION