photo by AZPARZYCH
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar (can also grind down regular sugar in a food processor until fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Blend together butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a food processor (or bowl) until well combined. Sift flour over butter mixture and blend until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer dough to an ungreased baking sheet. With floured fingertips, pat into a 9-by-4 1/2 inch rectangle. Crimp edges decoratively with tines of fork and prick dough all over. Score dough crosswise with the back of a knife into 8 pieces.
- Bake shortbread until edges are golden, about 15 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes, then cut into slices (while still warm) with a sharp knife. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Keeps in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is extremely dangerous...to my waistline, as I'm in danger of eating every last piece immediately! I did use salted butter (and still added the salt). After patting the dough out into the rectangle, I was afraid it was terribly soft, so I stuck it in the fridge for 30 minutes. I began preheating the oven when those 30 min. were up so the dough softened back up just a little before baking. I baked on parchment paper and only at 350F (same amount of bake time). This shortbread is quick and wonderful, and will be made again and again! Thanks so much for sharing!