Scary Good Pork Carnitas for Halloween Night!
photo by Mcosta
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 16 ounces green chili salsa (mild or medium)
- 1 large onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 20 soft flour tortillas
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Season the pork shoulder with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- Heat canola oil in a large pot or heavy skillet. Pan sear each side of the pork shoulder until browned (a few minutes per side).
- Place the chopped onions into crock pot. Put the pork shoulder on top (fat side on bottom). Pour the bottle of salsa on top.
- Cook for 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Once cool enough, shred the pork into bite sized pieces.
- Strain the liquid, discarding solids, and pour some of the liquid over the meat.
- Serve with soft flour tortillas, cilantro, sour cream and lime wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!