Savory Oatmeal With Scallions and Soy Sauce
A delicious, savory side dish of oats. For a soupier, more congee-like presentation, add more water. Adapted from a recipe by Erin Zimmer at Serious Eats, as inspired by Mark Bittman. Note: time is 5 min for rolled oats, 25 min for steel-cut oats.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup rolled oats or 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 -4 cups water
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons scallions, divided
- For rolled oats: combine oats, 2 cups water and salt in a medium saucepan and turn the heat to high. When the water boils, turn to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the water is just about absorbed (about 5 minutes).
- For steel-cut oats: combine oats, 4 cups water and salt in a medium saucepan and turn the heat to high. When the water boils, turn to low, and cook, stirring every five minutes, until the water is all absorbed (about 25 minutes).
- Turn off heat. Stir in soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of scallions while the pot cools down. Sprinkle remaining scallions on top for extra crunch.