Savory Leg of Lamb
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 large lemons
- 1⁄4 cup fresh rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil (I use lite)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 7 lbs leg of lamb (bone in)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a veggie peeler peel the yellow rind from one lemon, do not cut the pith with it Remove pith from this lemon and remove the rind and pith from the second lemon Slice each lemon across into 6 slices.
- Drop the zest (yellow saved peel) into a sauce pan of boiling water, blanch 1 minute& remove from water In your blender or food processor process the rosemary leaves, garlic, blanched zest, 1 tbsp oil, lemon juice, season with salt. Process until everything is chopped fine.
- Score the lamb leg with small cuts all over and rub the rosemary mixture into the cuts Put the lemon slices on the bottom of your roasting pan and put the lamb on top of them.
- Roast lamb for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile scrub the potatoes and cut then in half or quarter them, depending on their size boil for 5 minutes, drain and sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp of oil evenly over them.
- Arrange the potatoes around the lamb and continue roasting for a further 50 minutes or until it reaches your desired temp (140°F for med rare, 160°F med & 170°F well done) take out the lamb and let it rest for 15 minutes (I cover it with foil).
- Increase oven temp to 450°F.
- Arrange the potatoes with the lemon slices in one layer and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are golden; toss lemon & potatoes with the chives. Serve along side the roast lamb.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
On January 10 2010 I will celebrate 9 years of Life with Zaar. I can't imagine being without it! It has become part of my daily routine. I feel very privileged to be one of the hosts on the Photo Forum. Taking photos of my culinary efforts is a full time hobby and I love it. My friends all know what to expect when they come to dinner "Are you finished taking pictures?" or "Did you get a photo of so & so?" I never let them wait too long and the food is NEVER cold! I now have over 6000 photos on Zaar - some fairly good and some definitely not so good. I am happy to say that practice does help. My roots are in Vancouver BC Canada - a very beautiful city that holds many wonderful memories for me. In 1990, I decided that for my retirement years I may want to settle in a smaller community and found a slice of heaven in the North Okanagan B.C. I love living here but every once in a while I miss the bright city lights, the Broadway shows and some of the small wonderful ethnic restaurants that Vancouver abounds in. That is easily resolved. I just take a trip to the coast, visit with friends for a weekend see a show and feast on Dim Sum or other specialty foods. I am getting a bit long in the tooth but was a very adventurous person. I have river rafted Hell's Gate on the Fraser river, been up in a glider over Hawaii (no not a Hang Glider!), gone hot air ballooning in the Napa Valley & the Fraser Valley, driven dune buggies on the dunes in Oregon, Para sailing in Mexico and tried many other adventurous, challenging, fun things. I have yet to try bungee jumping or sky diving. I may do them yet. I love to travel and experience other cultures. Mexco has been a favorite haunt. I have visited that lovely country many many times. Australia is another favorite as is England! In the past 16 months I have taken off 61 pounds and feel wonderful. I am off all medications and all systems are GO! In years I may be 79 but in spirit I am still in my forties. We are only as old as we allow ourselves to feel. Always think positive. Do something a bit challenging every day & always do something silly every day. Be a kid again! Laugh every day - it is internal jogging. Here are a few of my photos <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowFullscreen="true" src="http://w615.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/Bergylicious/ABM slideshow/d95d7a18.pbw" height="360" width="480">