Sausage and Chickpea Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- canola oil or olive oil
- turkey sausage or Italian sausage
- 1 garlic, bulb (cloves separated, peeled, and chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 cups chickpeas (if canned, rinsed and drain 19 oz can)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups beef stock
- squeeze lime juice
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- In a large saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and garlic and saute until the sausage is golden brown and cooked through, breaking it up with a spoon.
- Add the jalapeno and cumin and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato juice, chickpeas, and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, until everything is cooked through and the broth has thickened slightly.
- Add a squeeze of lime, season with salt and pepper, and serve hot, topped with sour cream, chopped avocado, and fresh cilantro. Serve with extra lime wedges alongside.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.