this is different from anything we've had. nice side dish
- Ready In:
- 19 ounces canned tomatoes, drained,reserving liquid
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 19 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- reserved tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pour tomatoes into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with s/p.
- Melt marge in saucepan.
- Stir in 1c crumbs.
- Spread 1/2c crumbs over tomatoes.
- Spoon sauerkraut over top in a layer.
- Mix tomato juice& sugar together.
- Pour ovet sauerkraut.
- Sprinkle 1/2c of crumbs over all.
- Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes@ 350 oven.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow! I was reluctant to make this. Very very glad I did. Used my own bread crumbs, which consists of crumbs from different homemade breads and even a few crumbs from chips. I used a 15 oz can of tomatoes plus the remainder of another opened can which was probably about 8-10 oz. Drained the sauerkraut before using. The directions seem to use only 1 cup total of crumbs, so used 1 cup with butter between the layers and sprinkled dry crumbs over the top, after using the juice. Put in fridge at this point until ready to fix dinner. Took out and waited about 20 minutes before baking. The taste was incredible! The tomatoes and sauerkraut mellowed each other. Thnx so much for posting. Made for My-3-Chefs 2008.Reply