photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon annatto seeds (optional)
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 large)
- 1 cup italian peppers or 1 cup bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper (start with 2 tsp salt/1 tsp pepper and adjust at the end of cooking to taste)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 4 bouillon cubes)
- 3 cups water (additional to broth and bouillon)
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in skin and fat removed and discarded
- 1 medium yucca root, peeled and quartered (cut in half crosswise, then in half lengthwise)
- 1 green plantain, peeled and quartered (cut in half crosswise, then in half lengthwise)
- 1 yautia, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds (1 batata, peeled and cut into large dice, ingredient not in database and is optional)
- 4 red potatoes, washed and quartered (cut in half crosswise, then in half lengthwise)
- 1 ear of corn (or 2 little ears frozen corn, they'll be cut into 6 rounds, but are easier to cut after being cooked)
- 3 ounces recaito (Goya, 1/3 cup) or 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped for garnish
- fresh parsley or fresh basil, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Tabasco sauce, for serving (or Aji (Colombian Salsa))
- In a pressure cooker, place oil and annatto seeds and cook, over low heat while preparing the sofrito; remove annatto seeds and discard.
- To prepare the sofrito, place the onions and peppers in a food processor and chop fine.
- After removing annatto seeds, add sofrito, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper; increase heat to medium and cook until softened, about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water (or bouillon cubes and water), chicken, vegetables, Recaito (or chopped cilantro), and bay leaf.
- Place cover on pressure cooker and increase heat to medium high.
- Cook until it goes psish, about 30 minutes; reduce heat to low and cook about 15 minutes more.
- Release pressure, then remove cover and check vegetables and chicken to doneness; adjust seasonings.
- Remove corn and cut into 6 rounds; garnish with green onions and fresh herb of your choice; swirl in butter, if desired and aji (Recipe #377331) or Tabasco sauce, if desired.
- NOTE: If you do not have a pressure cooker, just use a large Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. Cook on medium high heat. It will take longer to cook and you may need to add water to maintain a goodly amount of broth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>