Salt Pork Lentil Soup
photo by wervwera
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 ounces salt pork, cubed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils, picked over
- 6 cups water or 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, brown the salt pork over medium heat.
- Remove the bits and saute the onion and carrot about five minutes in the fat from the pork.
- Add the garlic and saute a minute longer.
- Re-add the pork bits as well as the parsley, lentils, and water or stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the lentils are soft and cooked through, but not falling apart.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a crusty bread or crackers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!