Salade Au Chevre Chaud (Salad With Warm Goat Cheese)
Delicious salad which is commonplace throughout France, using fresh goat cheese. A more traditional version of this salad would call for thicker rounds of goat cheese, but don't feel deprived with this lower-fat version. You still get a nice portion of creamy goat cheese to eat with your salad.
- Ready In:
- 4 -8 garlic-flavored croutons (homemade or bought)
- 4 (1/2 inch) goat cheese, rounds (fresh and firm, about 1/4 pound)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 lb lettuce (either one kind or a mixture of firm bitter lettuces such as curly endive, red-leaf, arugula, and le)
- 12 -15 fresh chervil, sprigs
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- tiny radish (to garnish)
for the dressing
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (or put through a garlic press)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed (or 1 tsp. chopped fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the croutons on a baking sheet and top the rounds of cheese. Sprinkle with thyme and rosemary.
- Make the vinaigrette. Mix together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and tarragon. Whisk in the yogurt and oil and add salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving the salad, place the cheese-topped croutons in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Toss the lettuce, chervil, and red pepper together with the dressing and distribute among salad plates.
- Top the salads with the hot cheese croutons, garnish with radishes and serve at once.