Ropa Vieja (Slow Cooker)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In 'Make It Fast, Cook It Slow' by Stephanie O'Dea
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 30mins
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs beef (get what's on sale, stew meat, chuck roast) or 3 lbs pork (get what's on sale, stew meat, chuck roast)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 yellow apples, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Combine the cumin, paprika, salt, and peppers in a bowl.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the piece (or pieces) of meat you are using.
- Put the meat into the stoneware.
- Dump any extra spice left in the bowl on top.
- Add the vegetables, garlic, cilantro, grated apples, chicken broth., and vinegar.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- The meat and vegetables should be shredded and fully intertwined.
- Serve over brown rice or white rice, with a ladle full of broth.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION