- Ready In:
- 6 whole herring fillets
- 1 onion, sliced and slices quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 -6 peppercorns
- 1 small mild chili peppers or 1 small hot pepper
- 3 slices lemons
- 12 small pickles (sour or dill)
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sterilize a one quart jar.
- Soak herring in water overnight.
- Clean herring, remove head, leaving skin.
- Cut in half down belly, remove bones.
- Each herring will yield two filets.
- Wrap each herring filet around a pickle.
- Fasten with a toothpick.
- Place herring rolls in the jar, along with the onion, pepper, lemon, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Mix vinegar, water and salt.
- Pour over contents in jar.
- Seal jar tightly.
- Place a label with the date on the jar.
- Refrigerate for at least a week before using.
- Will keep up to six weeks in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!