Rockin' Oysters Rockefeller!
- Ready In:
- 4 dozen oysters, shucked on the half shell
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, minced (about a 1/4 cup)
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves (2 bags)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup ouzo, Pernod, etc
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1 ounce ouzo, Pernod
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded (shredded italian blend works too)
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp and set aside. Reserve 1 tbl. of drippings and melt butter in same pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic, saute 2 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic or it will make dish bitter.
- Add as much spinach as can fit in pan and finely crumbled bacon, along with nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add more spinach as it wilts, folding or stirring as you go.
- When all the spinach has wilted, make a well in bottom of pan and turn heat to medium high. When most of the juice has evaporated from the well and heat has risen, add Ouzo to deglaze pan.
- Stir mixture until Ouzo has reduced by over half, then add cream. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and add grated Parmesan cheese.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring as cheese melts and mix thickens. Season to taste with salt, pepper, hot sauce.
- Stir in remaining 1 oz. of Ouzo and take off heat to cool. If you are opting to use breadcrumbs, stir in at this time.
- Arrange oysters on baking sheet, using a bed of rock salt to stabilize if necessary, crumpled foil works as well. Top with spoonfuls of spinach mixture, then sprinkle with a little shredded cheese.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Serve with lemon wedges if desired. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!