Rioja Beef With Chickpeas, Peppers and Saffron
Colorful peppers brighten this hearty stew flavored with Spanish red wine (don't forget to save some wine to serve along with dinner)!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-1/2-2-inch cubes, patted dry
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut in 6 pieces
- 1 large red pepper, cut in 6 pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (Spanish Rioja)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 orange, juice of
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; preheat to 450 degrees. Heat 6-quart Dutch oven over low.
- Toss meat and 1 T. oil in bowl. Season with 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper.
- Add 1 T. oil to Dutch oven; heat on medium-high. Add peppers; cook, stirring, until browned, 3 minutes. Remove.
- Working in 2 batches, add meat and sear, turning once, until browned, 5-6 minutes per batch. Return to bowl.
- Add remaining oil to pot; add onion. Cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, cumin, and saffron; cook, stirring, 1 minutes. Whisk in flour, then broth, wine and tomatoes.
- Return beef to pot. Cover with foil, then lid and set over medium-high heat until bubbly. Transfer pot to oven; cook 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven; set over low heat. Remove foil; add peppers, chickpeas, zest, juice, and about 1 cup water, if necessary, to make gravy. Cover; simmer for 5 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Absolutely delicious! I did this with deer as we don't really eat beef and it was perfect, the meat just fell apart in your mouth. We had it with fresh bread, there were no leftovers even though it was more than enough for both of us. I cut the recipe in half, but next time will make the full recipe so I have and wonderful lunch then next day because I imagine it can only be better the next day. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT 8.Reply