This from a local church cook-book
- Ready In:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 ounces strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Crumble together the flour, baking powder, salt and butter.
- Mix egg and milk together and stir into crumbled mixture. (doing step #1 and #2 in a food processor works really slick).
- Cover the bottom and 2/3 of the sides of a greased 7x11 inch baking dish.
- Spread rhubarb over crust.
- Sprinkle jello over rhubarb.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and crumble over the jello.
- Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The filling on these bars is extremely yummy and the sweet topping is very good, too! However, the crust just did not do it for us. When I was spreading it in the pan I was thinking that it was very similar to a sweet biscuit or shortcake in taste and texture; it was pretty sticky and tricky to spread into the corners and up the sides. After baking, we cooled for about half an hour, although it was still warm. The very bottom of the crust was tough and hard to cut through with a fork, while the top of the crust was quite wet. I used cherry jell-o and we thought the rhubarb filling was phenomenal. I used some Splenda in place of sugar for the topping and less butter than specified and drizzled it the mixture over the jell-o layer (don't think I could have spread it very neatly) - it made for a very nice sweet addition to the tart rhubarb. Made for Photo Tag.Reply