Red Currant & Raspberry Jelly
- Ready In:
- 4 cups red currants, washed &, stemmed
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups raspberries
- 7 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (85 ml) packet liquid fruit pectin
- Using a potato masher, crush currants in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Add water& bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover& boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Add raspberries, return to a boil& boil gently for 3 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a coarse sieve, pressing pulp to extract juice& discarding the solids.
- If you want, you can now pour the juice through a jelly bag (cheesecloth)- I'm lazy& don't do this!
- You should have 4 cups of juice - when I don't get that amount, I top up with cranberry cocktail - combine juice with sugar in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil& boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in pectin& ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Be sure to remove any air bubbles.
- Place jars into boiling water in canner, add enough water to cover lids by 2 inches& return to boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from canner, cool, label& store in cool, dark place.
Join The Conversation
I will definitely use receipies, however, discarding the solids...means discarding the seeds...the seeds can be used for the coming years new growth...I would remove the seeds and put in envelopes and put in freezer...this tricks them...then put out in garden where your bushes are....for new plant growth the next year.