Rasmalai With American Ingredients
- Ready In:
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 pint fat-free half-and-half
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 3 -4 teaspoons blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios
To Make the Syrup:
- Thicken the half and half by simmering over low heat for few minutes.Add 1 cup sugar, cardamom, rose water, saffron strands, to the half and half. Heat for a few minutes and allow them cool.
To Make the Cheese:
- Mix Â¼ cup of sugar with the Ricotta cheese by using a spatula or hand mixer.
- Spread in the muffin pan. ( 2 spoons of cheese mixture in each cup). To spread evenly in the cup, use the bottom of glass to flatten.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35- 40 minutes or until it sets or until it turns light brown. You can also check with help of a tooth pick. Insert the tooth pick into the cheese- if the tooth pick doesn't come out sticky with cheese it means you are all set to take the tray out from the oven :)
- Remove from oven, cool at room temperature. Remove the shapes with help of your hand and place in the dessert bowl.
- Add the cooked balls to the half and half and decorate with Pistachios and Almonds.
- Let it stay immersed for about an hour. You can either serve it cold or warm. I usually keep in the fridge for few hours and serve cold:).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a psychotherapist who decided to start cooking creatively after years of resistance. I cook primarily vegetarian but cook with other ingredients when my family complains too much. I'm the mother of 3 sons, two of whom are grown, and I've been married since 1978. I cringe when I think back on the cooking my poor husband valliantly endured when we were first married. I collect cookbooks and frequent the thrift shops in my area for unusual finds. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">