Raisin Meringue Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups raisins (dark or light)
- 2 cups day-old bread cubes (plain, raisin* or egg bread)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted) or 2 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks (beaten (reserve whites for topping)
- 2 cups milk
- boiling water, for baking
- 2 egg whites
- 2 -3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Toss the raisins with bread cubes; set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, salt, butter or margarine, vanilla, egg yolks and milk and beat until well-blended. Pour onto bread and raisins, toss to combine, and let sit for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8" baking dish, or spray with non-stick spray. You will also need a larger, shallow baking pan.
- Set the larger pan on the oven rack and place the 8x8 dish inside. Fill the outside pan to 1 inch deep with hot water.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until just barely firm. While baking, prepare orange meringue.
- Remove pudding from oven and spread with meringue, making sure you bring it to the edges. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
- ORANGE MERINGUE;
- Beat egg whites until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in grated orange peel. Spread on baked pudding.
- * If using raisin bread, cut back a bit on the raisins. Also,the original recipe called for 3 tbs. sugar in the meringue, which I found a bit sweet. I cut it down to about 2 1/2 tbs., use your personal taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Heavenly dessert! This was fast to stir together. I didn't have time to let sit for 30 min. but soaked for the time it took my oven to preheat. I ended up not using the whole 2 cups of raisins, about 1 1/2 was enough for my taste.I dusted with a sprinkle of cinnamon upon serving. This reminded me of two of my favorite desserts: rice pudding and sour cream raisin pie. My father in law was VERY impressed, along with my husband. Thanks for making me look good, Catwhiskers. Roxygirl