Radi-salat Mit Speck - German Radish Salad With Bacon
photo by Debber
- Ready In:
- Clean, peel and wash the white radishes.
- Cut the white radishes into coils with a radish cutter (if you don't have one, just slice them very thinly).
- Divide the coils into about 4 inch long pieces.
- Place the short radish coils into a bowl (set some aside and reserve for garnishing if you desire) and sprinkle with salt.
- Let the radish coils rest for 20- 30 minutes (the salt will draw some juice).
- In the meantime clean, wash and quarter each of the small red radishes.
- Wash, dry and chop the dill weed (before chopping the dill weed pull off some sprigs for decorations).
- Cut the bacon into small cubes or pieces and in a skillet fry the bacon until crunchy and largely drained of its grease; discard grease.
- Pour the oil and vinegar into the bacon in skillet and bring to a short boil.
- Remove the skillet from the stove.
- Pour the radish juice from the white radishes into the skillet to the oil-vinegar-bacon mixture and season with pepper; let mixture cool to warm temperature.
- Add the red radish wedges to the white radish and combine.
- Pour the vinaigrette dressing from the skillet over the radishes and let stand until completely cool.
- Garnish with reserved radish coils and dill weed sprigs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Crunchy, tart-sweet, and surprisingly delicious! Well, I love radishes and ANYTHING with bacon is GOING to taste good, so how could this one be anything except Five Stars? Used red wine vinegar--because, that's what I have on hand. And I didn't have daikon's so I used ALL red sparklers. I will be adding this one to my KEEPER file, good way to use up extra radishes! *Made for ZWT4 Germany - Beverage challenge--thanks to that wine vinegar*