Quick Huevos Rancheros for One
photo by Maggie M.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup refried beans
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 ounce low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- Saute onion in oil in a 9" saute pan until softened and slightly caramelized.
- Add tomatoes and enchilada sauce and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. (I used canned tomatoes which had juice, you might need to add some more enchilada sauce or water if using fresh tomatoes. You want to wind up with enough sauce so that the eggs can be poached in the sauce.).
- Meanwhile, heat the corn tortillas over the stove burner set on low, flipping and being careful not to burn. (I have gas burners, I'm not sure if you can do this with electric burners.).
- Spread the refried beans over the corn tortillas and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, are until the beans are heated.
- Once the sauce has come to a boil, turn heat down to medium low and break the eggs directly into the sauce. Cover pan and cook until the eggs are done to your liking. (I like my eggs soft cooked, so this only took a few minutes for me.).
- To serve, pick up each egg with a large spoon and place on the tortilla. Then pour the rest of the sauce over the eggs and top with the cheese and green onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Julie, and I love to cook. I've even gotten to the point where I don't mind the dishes!