Quick Eritrean Lentils
photo by ALH7401
- Ready In:
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 -2 cup coconut milk
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon madras curry
- 2 onions
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop onions and garlic finely.
- Sauté in oil over heat in a large pot
- Add Madras curry and sauté a few more seconds.
- Add red lentils and coconut milk.
- Stir and let mixture sit a few moments.
- Add water.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until this has reached a nice mushy, stew-y consistency. Remove from heat and salt liberally to taste (may need a teaspoon or more of salt).
- Serve over injera, rice or just eat plain with bread. Freezes well. Reheats well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious. I ate it with some whole wheat pita bread. Serving it with rice will likely be the way I serve it next time. I followed the higher amount on all the ingredients with a range listed. It turned out a thinner than I would have liked and will likely reduce the amount of liquid to the lower edge of the given ranges to thicken it more easily without long periods of boiling to cook off some of the liquid. The taste was even better the second day. Thanks.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Vegetarian Kosher fish eating Milk product consuming culinary activist