Quesadilla Salvadoreña (Salvadoran Sweet Cheese Poundcake
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 lb queso fresco or 1/2 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl.
- Add the cheese, sugar, eggs and milk to a large bowl and beat until smooth. Stir in the melted butter.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the cheese mixture until fully incorporated and a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into two well greased loaf pans, filling them only halfway. If using, sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set on racks and allow to come to room temperature before slicing and serving.
- NOTE: Try using different types of cheese for your quesadilla: grated cheddar, Monterey Jack, even grated feta cheese.
- Many Salvadoran cooks substitute rice flour for the regular wheat flour.
- Instead of milk, use crema agria, or sour cream thinned with a little half and half.
- Bake in round cake pans or in muffin tins if you like.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!