- Ready In:
- 10hrs 2mins
- 1 liter cultured buttermilk (1% fat)
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk, as needed
- kosher salt, to taste
- Set oven to 150F (65 degrees C). Pour buttermilk into the baking dish and cover with a lid or tinfoil. Place the dish in the oven and let it sit overnight, or about 8-12 hours.
- In the morning, remove the dish from the oven. Place the strainer in the sink or a large pot and line it with the linen or cheese cloth. Spoon or pour the contents of the baking dish into the strainer. You’ll notice that the curd (solid) has partially separated from the whey (liquid). Cover the cheese with the ends of the cloth and let it drain in the sink for 30-60 minutes. To speed up the process, fill a bowl or sealed container with water and place on top to weigh it down. 30 min seemed sufficient.
- Place the contents into a bowl and refrigerate. Once chilled, add milk, 2Tbsp at a time until it is smooth and easy to spread with a texture similar to creamy ricotta cheese.
- Add salt to taste.
- Makes 8oz or about 1 to 1-1/2 cups.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Based in Whangarei NZ. My favourite recipe book is by a two NZers, Alison and Simon Holst Meals without Meat. This book is my all time stand by for healthy inexpensive meals. I wouldn't be without it. I love cooking and look forward to preparing meals each evening.