Purple Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 (1 -1 1/2 lb) purple cabbage, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) bag purple potatoes (if using larger potatoes, peel and cube into eighths)
- 6 cups chicken stock (use a light colored stock for best color) or 6 cups vegetable stock (use a light colored stock for best color)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- chives (to garnish)
- Melt butter in a stockpot over medium - low heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender, but not brown. Approx 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and potato, stir 5 minutes allowing the cabbage to wilt.
- Add stock and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a bar-top blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream/ creme fraiche and chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I can't cook much but I'm learning. I like to eat. We spend a lot of money eating out. Got married at the end of 2006, so now I get to figure out what to do with all this impressive cookware and servingware. I haven't eaten meat or chicken in 25 years, and my husband is in the dictionary under "carnivore". If I do cook, I get my recipes primarily from South Beach Diet and my grandmother "Momala" who kept impeccable records before she died. I know who she cooked for and what she made most weekends in 1986. For work I am a Psychotherapist and Energy Healer. I teach Energy Healing in a 4 year college dedicated to this work. Hubby is in finance. We love our 2 cats.