photo by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
- Ready In:
- 1hr 44mins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 8 X 8 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Pulse 1 3/4 cups pretzels in a food processor until POWDERY, transfer 1/2 cup to a bowl, DISCARD any remaining pretzel powder.
- Stir in flour and baking powder, set aside for Step 7.
- Transfer REMAINING 1 1/2 cups of pretzels to food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely CHOPPED.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low, and beat in egg yolk, then pretzel-flour mixture, until combined.
- Using spoon mix in 1/2 cup of the coarsely chopped pretzels.
- Press dough evenly into pan.
- Top dough with 1/4 cup of the coarsely chopped pretzels, pressing slightly; discard any remaining pretzels.
- Bake shortbread until pale brown and firm in the center -about 25 minutes, maybe 30.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let shortbread cool for 1 hour.
- Remove shortbread from pan, and cut into 1/2 inch rectangles using a serrated knife.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These came together nicely. I did not have problem with the dough being too crumbly to work with. I used small pretzel sticks. I don't think he shape matters as long as you use 1/2 C of pretzel powder, as recommended. I sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top before baking. Light, tasty and sweet! I may try making as individual cookies next time. It's a keeper. Thanks for posting WiGal! UPDATE: Jan. 2018 - made these again and doubled the recipe adding 1/4 Cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter. I baked in a 1/4 sheet cookie sheet. They turned out fab! Thanks again for such a great recipe WiGal!