Potato Torta (Gratto Di Patate)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups canned chopped Italian tomatoes, with juice
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large all-purpose potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coarsely chopped salami
- 1 cup diced mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup diced smoked provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup bread, crumbs (fresh)
- Saute onion in 3 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over low heat until golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, salt, and pepper; cook over medium heat until the tomato sauce is thick and dry.
- Put potatoes through a ricer or mash in a bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Combine the potatoes with the eggs, salami, mozzarella, smoked provolone, Parmesan, and parsley; mix well.
- Generously butter a 9 x 2 1/2 inch springform pan; coat heavily with bread crumbs, reserving some for the top.
- Spread 1/3 of the potato mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan; spread half of the tomato sauce over the potatoes.
- Spread another third of the potato mixture evenly over the tomato sauce; repeat with the remainng tomato sauce and potato mixture; smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet; bake in a preheated 350° for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until the top is crusty and brown.
- Let cool completely at room temperature; refrigerate for several hours or overnight to make slicing easier.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!