Created for RSC #6. The ingredients of the contest just called out for this recipe. Makes a great appetizer, very impressive. If you don't have parchment paper you can use silver foil that has been sprayed with a bit of olive oil.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 pieces chicken breasts, pounded thin and roughly the same size as the mushrooms
- 2 firm tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Combine the 3/4 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, white wine and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add the mushroom caps, chicken breasts and tomato slices, tossing to coat.
- Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Remove the mushrooms, chicken breasts and tomatoes, and discard the marinade.
- Place the mushrooms on a tray covered in parchment paper.
- Grill until tender.
- Remove to a plate.
- Place the tomatoes on a tray covered in parchment paper (can used the same tray).
- Grill for only 1 minute on each side or the tomatoes will fall apart.
- Remove to a plate.
- Place the chicken breasts on the tray.
- Grill for two minutes on each side.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Layer one mushroom cap (stem side up), one chicken breast, one slice of tomato, one 2 basil leaves, another tomato slice on top, and them cover with one mushroom cap, stem side down.
- Take one sheet of phyllo dough, brush with olive oil, repeat with two more sheets.
- Wrap the 3 sheets of dough (all three at once) around the mushroom "sandwich.
- Place this seam side down on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper, making sure the ends are tucked underneath.
- Brush the top and sides with olive oil.
- Repeat this with the other 3 sandwiches, using three sheets of phyllo dough per sandwich.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a very impressive meal!!! I do suggest to grill the chicken and mushrooms (gills removed for appearance) right on the grill not a tray as directed for more flavor. As for the tomatoes I did not cook before layering them into the napoleon. I did add a sliced onions to the marinade and grilled them as well. To the marinade (which can be cut back by 1/2) I added dried herbs, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and placed all into a ziplock storage bag.Reply
see 1 more