Pork and Cabbage
From Family Circle magazine. Haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon!
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 15mins
- 1 (2 -3 lb) boneless pork loin roast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage, about 1 pound
- 1 lb small baby red potato
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and cubed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Season the pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Add the cabbage to a 6 quart slow cooker. Add potatoes, apples on top in an even layer, and then the pork roast.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, wine, sugar, caraway seeds and allspice. Pour around meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Uncover cooker and transfer pork roast to a cutting board, Cover loosely with foil and ket rest 5 minutes. Season cabbage with remaining salt.
- Transfer cabbage mixture to a platter (leave most of liquid in slow cooker). Slice pork roast and serve on top of cabbage mixture.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was very easy to make. I cooked it on High for 4 1/2 hours. The pork cooked perfect, with a hint of pink. It held it's shape when I carved it and was so very moist. I wonder if I can make a gravy out of the beautiful red juice in the bottom of the crock. I'll have to give it a try and see how it tastes. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013Reply
I love crock pot recipes and this was very easy to put together. Only problem I had was the cabbage, apples and pork were done but not my potatoes. I did use very small red potatoes but they were still a little hard at 7 hours. Next time I will cube the potatoes. We liked the taste of the cabbage and potatoes, but felt the pork was a tad boring, but if ate with the cabbage onto top of it with some of the cabbage juice it added flavor. Made for ZWT2011.Reply
see 4 more