Popeye's Red Beans and Rice
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3 (16 ounce) cans red beans (2 cans with liquid, 1 can drained)
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 lb smoked ham hock
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 5 tablespoons lard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 -5 cups long grain rice, cooked and drained
- Pour 2 cans of beans with their liquid into a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add smoked ham hock and water.
- Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour until the meat starts to loosen from the bone.
- Remove from heat and cool until the hock is cool enough so the meat may be removed from the bone.
- Place the meat, beans and liquid in a food processor.
- To the mixture add onion powder, garlic salt, red pepper, salt, and lard.
- Process for only 4 seconds.
- Beans should be chopped and liquid thick.
- Add the third can of beans that have been drained of their liquid.
- Process just for a second or two; you want these beans to remain almost whole.
- Pour bean mixture back into to pan and cook slowly on low heat stirring often until ready to serve.
- Serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I recently returned to work part time, three days a week as a paralegal for a large defense workers' compensation firm. I have two daughters that are 10 1/2 months apart in age, Kylie and Taylor. My husband is a Captain with the Stockton (CA) Fire Department. I love searching on Recipezaar for recipes to cook and plan my meals around recipes that I find on recipezaar. We have a golden lab.