Poison Ivy Infusion Relief - Jewelweed (Impatiens Capensis)
- Ready In:
- Gather the whole plant - with the orange - not yellow - flowers.
- Chop jewelweed (the whole plant, stems, leaves, flowers and all) and place in an enamel saucepan, or a slow-cooker with a non-metallic liner.
- Pour in water, just to cover. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer (or cover and turn the crock pot on high) for several hours until a dark orange liquid emerges.
- The Jewelweed will by then look and smell like a soggy heap of boiled spinach. Remove it, and strain off the lovely orange liquid. Strain the liquid through cheesecloth, or a coffee filter, and pour into ice cube trays. Freeze.
- The cubes can then be used to rub the affected areas as needed. Brings very rapid relief, and will clear the rash in a day or two. The remainder of the cubes can be wrapped in a double layer of labelled freezer bags and it will keep for up to a year.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Left to my own devices, I could happily live on appetizers, dim sum, sandwiches and side salads .I gravitate toward a low-fat, clean eating, graze-as-you-go way of life. I am no longer entirely left to myself, as it happens. My partner and my picky teenager each have their different tastes. Quite a challenge.</p> 8728230"