MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe comes from Jillian Hanlon
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup white breadcrumb, pressed down firmly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice, heaping
- 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas and currants
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 125 g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup milk, to mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- essence of 1 lemons or the rind of a lemon, grated
- Mix all dry ingredients except baking soda and make a well in the middle.
- Add golden syrup and melted butter.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk, add lemon rind or essence and mix together.
- Scald a pudding cloth and flour generously.
- To do this you will need a piece of calico or a cotton tea towel at least 65cm in diameter.
- Scald the cloth in boiling water then wring out and lay cloth out on a flat surface.
- Sprinkle both sides lightly with flour.
- Place the cloth over a large bowl and push it into the bowl from the center to form a lining.
- Or you can use a greased pudding basin.
- Add mixture, then tie up the cloth but not too tightly.
- Have a pot of water boiling and place a plate, such as a saucer, upended in the bottom to keep the pudding off the base of the pot and add the pudding.
- Boil for 3 hours.
- The flour on the cloth should give pudding a lovely thick skin.
- This plum duff is delicious with custard or cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION