Pizza Di Pane E Pomodoro (Bread and Tomato Pizza)
This easy to prepare traditional Italian dish brings the taste of the garden into your home. Made with Pane Pugliese, a thick and crusty bread, chewy and porous, a perfect compliment for a lunch or dinner with cheese, dried meats or foods with sauces.
- Ready In:
- 6 slices peasant bread (1/2 inch thick, cut from a large loaf) or 6 slices country bread (1/2 inch thick, cut from a large loaf)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium balls fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 12 black olives, pitted and minced
- 6 anchovy fillets, minced (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, torn
- Prepare a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Toast the bread slices on one side. Transfer bread to a work surface, toasted-side up. Reduce grill to medium-low.
- Top bread with the tomato, mozzarella, olives and anchovy. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Return bread to the grill. Cover and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve warm.