Pita Pockets Stuffed With Chunky Tuna Salad
Tuna salad sandwiches continue to be very popular. You're sure to find them on the menu of just about any diner or sandwich shop. This delicious Tuna Salad Pita Pocket gives you tuna, veggies, cheese, and grains all in one handful. Serve with a pickle and enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 (8 ounce) can tuna in water
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 small green apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup alfalfa sprout
- lettuce leaf (Boston or Romaine)
- 2 large whole-wheat pita pockets
- Drain off the water that the tuna is packed inches.
- Place the tuna in a medium-size mixing bowl; break apart with a fork.
- Add the next 14 ingredients to the tuna; mix everything thoroughly. (COOK'S TIP: Adjust these ingredients - MORE OR LESS - to your taste.).
- Open the pita pockets and line the bottoms with sprouts and shredded carrots (reserve a few teaspoons for garnish); layer lettuce on one side of each pita pocket.
- Stuff with tuna filling in each pocket, dividing equally. Top with reserved sprouts and carrots.
- This recipe will give you 2 jumbo pita sandwiches, or slice the pita pockets in half for 4 smaller servings.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.