Perfect Fish & Chips
- Wash fillet in lemon and water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill while you prepare the batter.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
- Let stand until dissolved.
- Place flour in a bowl with the salt and sugar.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add the dissolved yeast, oil and 2/3 of the beer.
- Stir with a wooden spoon just to combine. Stir in remaining beer.
- Let the batter stand, covered, in a warm place for 30-35 minuted, until it has thickened and become frothy.
- Dry fish with paper towels and cut each fillet diagonally into 2 pieces.
- Heat the oven to warm.
- Stir together remaining flour, pepper and salt in a plate. Heat the oil.
- Whip egg white until it forms soft peaks and fold into batter.
- Coat fish with seasoned flour, patting so they are evenly coated.
- Shake off excess flour.
- Using a 2 pronged fork, dip the fish into the batter.
- Lift it out and hold it over bowl 5 seconds to drip off excess batter.
- Carefully lower the piece of fish into the hot oil and deep fry, turning once, until golden crisp.
- Fry 1-2 pieces at a time, transferring to paper towels as you go.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was the crispiest, yummiest batter I have ever made! It was just a teeny bit yeasty tasting, so next time I will either cut the yeast by half a teaspoon, or dilute the beer with water. This batter would also be great for pineapple rings and bananas. We had it on fish and onion rings, which were amazingly yum!!! Thanks!